The Speechcraft program allows experienced Toastmasters to present the fundamentals of public speaking to non-members in a comfortable and supportive atmosphere. It is the quickest means by which non-Toastmasters can jump right into the process of improving their speaking skills and is an effective means by which a club can share the benefits of Toastmasters and build its membership (if participants decide to join Toastmasters).
It is structured and run like a condensed Toastmaster meeting with short educational sessions during the meeting and 15 or so minutes of coaching at the conclusion of each meeting. Speechcraft’s short duration appeals to people with busy lives who want to improve their speaking skills but don’t want to make an on-going commitment.
Speechcrafter participants learn public speaking and evaluation skills and derive many of the benefits Toastmasters are already familiar with but may have taken for granted. The only difference is with Speechcraft there is a specific time period. What are those benefits?
- Gain confidence in public speaking
- Develop communication and language skills
- Learn to think quickly and clearly
- Become an effective listener
- Evaluate effectively
- Use body language and visual aids
- Advance social skills
- Improve job or promotion prospects
- Experience benefits of a TM club without having to initially join
Speechcraft can also help participants improve performance in:
- Meeting in larger groups
- Motivating people
- Selling ideas or products
- Conducting business meetings
- Impromptu Speaking
- Manging Nervousness
- Introducing a Speaker
- Preparation & Practice
- Speech Structure & Organization
- Beginning & Concluding a Speech
- Body Language
- Vocal Variety
- Knowing an Audience
Friendships and careers can and do blossom from the Speechcraft experience.
Why Would a Club Host a Speechcraft?
Clubs find many benefits in hosting a Speechcraft session:
- Build club membership
- Give new members a helping hand with the different meeting roles
- Reach out to the community
- Give experienced members an opportunity to grow
- Share the Toastmasters experience with others
- Speechcraft students who decide to join the club are up to speed and already have 3-4 speeches towards their cc.
- Speechcraft students invite their family and friends to the graduation ceremony, which takes place at club meeting location – which intruduces them to
- Toastmasters and possibly inspire them to join.
Additionally, individual Toastmasters can accelerate the completion of their communication and leadership designations by fulfilling various roles in a Speechcraft.:
- One member can earn credit towards AL as Speechcraft coordinator
- One member can earn credit towards AL by conducting Evaluation Course
- Additional members can earn credit towards ACB,ACS or ACG by conducting Better Speaker Series modules to Speechcraft students.
- Members can complete the mentoring requirement in the CL manual by coaching Speechdraft students